Thursday, June 26, 2008

Price of Gas and Tough Times

Today's society seems to demand that we drive our vehicles. Between my wife and I we travel about 94 miles round trip for work each day. Our vehicles are not the most gas efficient, average about 17 miles to the gallon.

This would mean on a perfect day with no other driving that we would use about 5.53 gallons of gas each day. The price of gas today at the station that I most use is $3.93. This means that we would use $21.78 of gas per day. Five days of work and we have used up $108.

We are lucky that we both have good jobs with fairly good salaries. But think about some of the folks that aren't so lucky.

What if I was making $8.00/hr for a 40 hour week and traveling the same distance. That would mean that I was grossing $320/ week with a net of probably $275 per week. If I pay my gas bill that leaves me $212 per week for everything else.

That means that on an annual basis after I have taken care of getting to and from work that I have $11,000 to live on.

When was the last time you tried to do it all on that amount of money. Rent would probably cost $400 - $600 per month or $6,000 of the $11,000. If there are any kids that costs a bundle.

Times are tough! What is the answer?

No comments: