Friday, September 24, 2010

Cape Kawanda in the Afternoon

Welcome to my guest post today.

--------------------------------------------
Thanks for the article from Jermaine Haynes

This afternoon I loaded the Kids into the wagon and after setting our Security Choice adt alarm system, headed for Pacific City, and Cape Kawanda, to hike the beach and dunes. I prefer the beach, while the Kids prefer the dunes where they can slide down after climbing to the top. They have way more energy than I do, so I usually find a nice spot to relax while watching them having a great time. Once they tire themselves out we can spend the rest of the afternoon leisurely hiking along the tide line looking for treasure.

We had a wonderful afternoon as we wandered down the beach watching the Gulls and other sea birds playing on the wind currents overhead while a commercial crabber worked their pots off shore. Connie spotted a dead jellyfish just above the current water line. The Kids spent several minutes examining their find before they were willing to continue our progress down the beach in hopes of discovering more interesting items.

I was so glad I had my camera with me when we came upon a mama Killdeer with her chicks. When she spied us she did the play dead act while the babies ran into a clump of beach grass, and I managed to get pictures of the Kids examining her from about 4 feet away.

No comments: