Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tackle the Introduction of the Internet with Your Kids

Post from mommy blogger Linda Houston


Having satellite internet installed by our satellite internet provider Wisconsinconnection in my home was one of the best choices I’ve ever made. I loved having the world at my fingertips and the fact that I was able to get a majority of my work done at home. I really never was able to see a downfall until my kids started to ask to go on. My first instinct was to simply tell them, “no,” but I knew that would only work for so long. Eventually I was going to have to introduce the world of the wild blue broadband internetto my kids, as scary as that thought seemed to be at the time.


The first step for younger kids is to let them know that they will not be allowed to use any social networking sites until they are older. If they complain, simply let them know that these sites are not safefor young kids because predators use them to find their next victim. Educate your kids and tell them some horror stories about children that were hurt because they ran into the wrong person online. You should also teach them what a trusted site is and where to find them. Also let them know that if at any point they become scared or freaked out by something that they’ve run into on the internet, they should tell you right away. Keep the lines of communication open and you will have a fine transition.

No comments: